Time Out is the trusted global platform that inspires and enables people to experience the best of the city. Operating in 107 cities, across 39 countries, it has an average monthly global audience reach of over 111 million across all platforms.
No one knows the city like Time Out because we’ve been discovering the brilliant and searching out the secret and extraordinary since 1968 in locations across the globe. If you want to know about food, attractions, art, culture, shopping and nightlife, then Time Out is your social companion. With a world-class digital platform and top-quality curated content, Time Out connects brands and local businesses to the city.
In the evolving digital world, our expertise and our growing community of Time Outers and Tastemakers put the very best of the city in the palm of your hand. We are global, and no one knows local better than we do.
Since June 2016, Time Out Group is listed on London's AIM stock exchange, trading under the ticker symbol 'TMO'.
Current vacanciesWe've got some great news, we're hiring! See below for current vacancies in our Shanghai office. Time Out Shanghai is the city's highest-quality English-language lifestyle media brand, reporting all aspects of the city's culture and entertainment scene.
Food & Drink Editor
Do you have a knack for finding the next great restaurant or
bar that readers should know about? Are you passionate about breaking food and
drinking news? Is food life? Are cocktails and craft beer your water?
We are seeking an excellent, vibrant and energetic food
editor, writer and manager. The successful candidate will be an eye-grabbing,
informed and accessible writer; will have strong, proven experience as a writer;
will be a determined and confident editor; and will be familiar with diverse
formats, including reviews, previews, lists and interviews.
The focus of the job will be primarily on what's exciting and new in the Shanghai
food and drink scene. Along with producing print round-ups, service-focused
digital listicles and larger food-related cover packages, the Food & Drink
Editor serves as the publication's chief restaurant and bar critic, who
will guide Shanghairen on where (or where not) to eat, drink and have an
amazing night out in the city.
- Plan, write, commission, edit and proof all
food and drink content (reviews, features, listings, interviews, etc) across
print, digital and blog platforms
- Create daily blog posts, pitch and execute
- Oversee the layout and production of print
pages alongside the creative director and managing editor, ensuring daily, weekly and
seasonal deadlines are met
- Have your finger ever on the pulse of Shanghai’s
robust food and drink scene; use your professional contacts and social media
networks to be the first to identify the next big thing
- Represent brand at industry events and in
and essential skills
- A demonstrable passion for and excellent
knowledge of the food and drink industry in Shanghai
- Existing grasp and understanding of SEO best practice, or willingness to learn
- Highest standard of accuracy and attention
- Excellent organisational skills and ability
to prioritise accordingly
- The ability to write copy in line with highest
- The ability to work quickly to
tight deadlines under pressure
- Flexibility and a professional approach at
- The ability to self-supervise in order to
- A high sense of ownership, urgency and
- Be commercially astute
- Ability to work in and contribute to a fun
and dynamic team-based environment
To apply, email your CV and cover letter to email@example.com, with
the subject ‘Food & Drink Editor’.
Do the words ‘search engine
optimisation’ get your blood racing? Are you a nerd for creating the perfect
web title? We’re looking for a digital content editor to run
timeoutshanghai.com and timeoutshanghai.com/family. The role will largely
involve editing and optimising content to be platform appropriate, managing the
Time Out Shanghai Family WeChat, planning and coordinating content packages
with editors, page management and working with our developer to provide the best
user and client experience. In addition to this, there will be the opportunity
for writing and content production for both our platforms. The right candidate will have a
keen eye for detail, be hyper organised and love generating web traffic through
- Work closely with the editors
and writers to ensure as much content as possible is search engine optimised
- Analyse content gaps,
identifying new opportunities and providing editorial teams with keyword, copy,
and layout recommendations for implementation based on driving maximum traffic
- Curate and run Time Out Family’s WeChat channel and biweekly newsletter
- Supervise, manage and work with
our partners on Time Out's ticketing and reservation platforms
- Assist in tracking and planning
for seasonality to ensure timely publishing of appropriate content
- Manage and update the site's
section pages to keep content up to date and regularly refreshed
- Meet quarterly targets for page
views and unique visitors
- Previous digital experience,
ideally managing a WeChat subscription account
- Familiarity with SEO, Content
- Excellent writing
- Strong organisational skills, an
acute attention to detail and excellent multi-tasking skills
- An understanding of, and passion
for, the Time Out brand
This role is full time and based
from the office. To apply, please email Editor-in-Chief Cat Nelson at firstname.lastname@example.org
with a CV and cover letter.
Sales Account Manager
Time Out Shanghai is currently looking for a talented, persuasive Sales Account Manager to develop creative, forward-thinking sales plans and generate new client business.
We value a candidate that has a strong background in advertising sales, business to business sales or experience in sales for a specific product(s) with a demonstrated track record in delivering and hitting sales targets. However, while experience is welcomed, we are willing to train. The right candidate will be an individual who is creative and has an entrepreneurial spirit, engaging personality and strong work ethic combined with ambition and good industry contacts. Most importantly, our candidate has innate and cultivated interpersonal communication abilities, with a prowess for creating and maintaining relationships.
Personal knowledge of or familiarity with the Shanghai lifestyle industry is preferred but not entirely necessary.
- Quickly establish, build and maintain relationships that deliver revenue streams
- Manage a portfolio of clients
- Develop innovative advertising packages that meet clients' needs and budget
- Ensure you have top knowledge of the market and position within it
- Identify revenue-generating opportunities and implement them
- Deliver presentations and pitches to clients
- Necessary administration
Qualifications & Skills
- Previous experience in sales, ideally in a media setting
- Able to establish durable partnerships with clients and identify new prospects
- Able to explain the benefits of each Time Out platform, using statistics on readership or viewing figures
- Able to have fun and socialise productively
- An experienced negotiator
- Must be a confident and credible individual, enthusiastic, self-motivated and with self-set high standards of workmanship
- Possess the gravitas and personal characteristics to communicate at all levels when dealing with clients and all teams involved
- Show initiative and enterprise at all times
- A creative and lateral thinker
- Hungry to succeed in a competitive media landscape
This role is full time and based from the office. To apply, please email your CV and cover letter to Director of Sales and Marketing Terry Meng at Terrymeng@timeoutcn.com
Time Out Shanghai internships offer the opportunity to be part of a passionate and experienced team in helping to produce both our magazine and website. Part-time and full-time placements are available. All positions are unpaid but expenses are available.
We are looking for enthusiastic, hard-working and creative bilingual Chinese and English speaking interns to support our editorial and online staff. Interns will do a lot of information gathering around Shanghai, assisting our writers and editors to research stories and discover new and exciting events across the city.
You will also be involved in the day-to-day development of the Time Out Shanghai
website such as managing our events calendar, creating and uploading website content and contributing to our blog.
Please send your CV along with writing samples and an idea of your availability to email@example.com.
- Assist with organising company activities
- Keep in close contact with clients by phone
- Provide assistance to advertising department
- University degree
- Current undergraduates or graduates
- English level 4 or above, proficient in oral and written English
- Proficient in Microsoft Office