In the evolving digital world, our expertise and our growing community of Time Outers and Tastemakers put the very best of the city in the palm of your hand. We are global, and no one knows local better than we do.
Since June 2016, Time Out Group is listed on London's AIM stock exchange, trading under the ticker symbol 'TMO'.
We’re looking for a deputy editor to work closely alongside the managing editor to oversee the day-to-day running of Time Out Shanghai digital and print products. While there will be opportunities for writing, the role will also involve editing and optimising content to be platform appropriate and planning and coordinating features and content packages with other editors.
The right candidate will have a keen eye for detail, be hyper organised and have good knowledge of, and passion for, Shanghai, lifestyle media and the Time Out brand.
- Work closely with editors and writers to generate content ideas.
- Pitch and assist with coordinating regular features.
- Proofread, edit and fact-check raw copy.
- Ensure content is optimised to be platform appropriate before publication.
- Manage the running of our website and co-manage daily WeChat channel.
- Assist with the production cycle of the quarterly magazine.
- Embrace Time Out’s digital-first, mobile-first philosophy. A strong background in digital production is absolutely essential.
- Be a source of innovation when it comes to story formats and approaches to storytelling across all platforms, new and emerging.
- Have your finger on the pulse of what’s happening in Shanghai; use your professional contacts and social-media networks to be the first to identify the next big thing.
Qualifications & Skills
- Previous experience editing and subediting.
- Familiarity with SEO, Content Management Systems, Adobe Photoshop and Creative Suite.
- Previous digital experience, ideally managing a WeChat subscription account.
- Strong organisational skills, acute attention to detail and excellent multi-tasking skills.
- Interest in design and branding.
This role is full time and based in the office. To apply, please email Managing Editor Ellen Schaft at firstname.lastname@example.org with a CV and cover letter.
Are you a silver-tongued devil? Do your words beguile and provoke? Do you know your pop-up rooftop food festivals from your Bund-side boat parties? Good. Because we’re looking for a witty, engaging and enthusiastic Staff Writer to join our busy editorial team.
Our new Staff Writer will be a talented, published writer bursting with feature ideas that can be used across Time Out Shanghai and Time Out Shanghai Family’s print and digital platforms. The person we want will be highly motivated, hardworking, super organised, personable and willing to pitch in with other tasks as needed.
- Create and upload content for Time Out across all print and digital products.
- Tailor copy to work across multiple platforms.
- Thorough researching and fact-checking.
- Pitch stories according to projected success via SEO, social or both, and learn from the success of those stories on various platforms.
- Publish a high turnover of stories online throughout the week including news, lists and features – with an emphasis on actionable events that our audience can discover and experience for themselves.
- Assist with additional tasks as necessary.
Personal attributes and essential skills
- Passion for and strong awareness of Shanghai’s lifestyle scene and the Time Out brand.
- Excellent writing, editing and interviewing skills.
- The ability to work efficiently and creatively under pressure.
- Strong attention to detail and superb organisational skills.
This role is full time and in-house. To apply, please email Managing Editor Ellen Schaft (email@example.com) with a CV, cover letter and three writing samples.
Music & Nightlife Editor
Do you have a knack for finding the next big local artists? Are you passionate about breaking nightlife news? Is music life?
The focus of the job will be primarily on what's exciting and new in the Shanghai music and nightlife scene. Along with producing print round-ups, digital listicles and larger nightlife-related features, the Music & Nightlife Editor serves as the publication's chief music and nightlife critic, who will guide Shanghairen on where (or where not) to catch live shows, party and have an amazing night out in the city.
- Plan and write all music and nightlife content (reviews, features, listings, interviews, etc) across print and digital platforms
- Create weekly blog posts, pitch and execute feature ideas
- Have your finger ever on the pulse of Shanghai's robust music and nightlife scene; use your professional contacts and social media networks to be the first to identify the next big thing
- Represent the brand at industry events and in media appearances
Personal attributes and essential skills
- A demonstrable passion for and excellent knowledge of the music and nightlife industry in Shanghai
- Existing grasp and understanding of SEO best practice, or willingness to learn
- Highest standard of accuracy and attention to detail
- The ability to write copy in line with highest editorial standards
- Flexibility and a professional approach at all times
- The ability to self-supervise in order to meet deadlines
- A high sense of ownership, urgency and drive
How to apply
This role is part-time and out-of-house. To apply, email your CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject 'Music & Nightlife Editor'.