1892, McTyeire School for Girls
A progressive school for its day – when women’s education was viewed as largely unnecessary – McTyeire was founded by the South Methodist Mission in 1892 for the elite women of Shanghai. Classes, led by foreign teachers, were held in English with a Western, Christian outlook. In 1922, the campus moved from its original location on Hankou Lu to Jiangsu Lu. In 1952, it closed, merging with St Mary’s Hall to become the Shanghai No 3 Girls’ High School. Over the years, McTyeire saw some of Shanghai’s most influential women pass through its hallowed halls, including the three Soong sisters who would go on to shape modern China as we know it.